Monday, November 14, 2016
Alcila is a singer, pianist, saxophonist, an adventurer, stargazer but most of all, a passionate beach trash picker. She grew up watching the Disney animated film "Pocahontas", which planted the seed of a deep love for nature in her.
In this series of SharingMyPassion, she will share about what has driven her to collect seaside rubbish in the past 3 years and how it has grown recently to be a session of 30 volunteers collecting over 100kg worth of rubbish, and her hopes for the youths today and the local community for the environment.
Day / Date: Wednesday, November 16, 2016
Time: 5.30 - 7.00PM
Venue: The Museum Cafe & Shop at The Main Bazaar Admission: Free
Saturday, November 12, 2016
The core programmes of the Sarawak Biodiversity Centre (SBC), at kilometre 20 of Jalan Borneo Heights include biological discoveries, traditional knowledge, bioinformatics along with programmes aimed at education such as awareness visits. MNSKB has arranged for a visit to SBC in order to enhance understanding of the varied roles of this organisation. The guided walks will also enable us to develop our understanding of beneficial plants.
The details of the visit are below:
Venue: Sarawak, Biodiversity Centre, Kilometre 20, Jalan Borneo Heights, Semengoh
Day / Date: Wednesday, 30 November 2016
Time: 9:00 AM (sharp)to 12:15 PM
The following is the programme for the visit:
9:00 AM: Arrival of MNS Members
Briefing on SBC's Roles and Functions
10: 00 AM: Walkabout tour of the Laila Taib Ethnobotanical Garden
11: 00 AM: SBC Jungle Trail - Guided walk on useful/interesting plants
12.15 noon: Lunch
- Members are required to register for this activity on or before 27 November.Please include full name, IC or passport number, and email and handphone number.
- Participants are advised to wear comfortable walking shoes and clothes appropriate for the jungle, as well as to bring sufficient drinking water.
- Please bring insect repellent and sun block.
- This trip is also suitable for kids and since its school holiday just brings them along but register them too.
- Please leave town on time and I suggest at 8am.
Love Life Love Nature
You are invited to a talk on Medicinal Plants of Sarawak by Dr Paul Chai P.K. a consultant for the International Tropical Timber Organisation (ITTO) since 1993.
Lower Baruk, Islamic Information Centre
Jalan Ong Tiang Swee (behind Swimburne University Sarawak)
Date: Saturday 3rd December 2016
- Please register with Cynthia Lobato at email@example.com
Tuesday, November 1, 2016
We are pleased to announce an upcoming excursion for you! Are you up for a bit of exercise and outdoor fun? Then join Nicki on a trip to Jangkar Waterfalls!
The Jangkar Waterfalls are powerful and remote waterfalls, located on the slopes of the Berumput range in Lundu. The Berumput range marks the boundary between Sarawak and Indonesia.
The trail to Jangkar Waterfalls starts at Kampong Jantan. The first part of the walk goes through farms and orchards of the local villagers until it reaches Jangkar River. Then the scene changes into jungle, dotted with big boulders, as the trail leads further upriver. The trail crosses at the widest part of the river, where the water level is shallow. It continues further up until it finally reaches a spectacular waterfall with a huge deep pool. With a height of over 30 metres Jangkar Waterfall #1 is the highest in Western Sarawak!
The amazing scenery makes it a nice place to relax and enjoy a cooling bath. For those with more energy and an adventurous spirit there is another waterfall further upstream, which requires a challenging climb. Here one is welcomed here by a lovely natural infinity pool with stunning views over the plains and Gunung Gading.
In total there are 23 waterfalls along Jangkar River.
Here are the details:
Day / Date:
Sunday, 20. November 2016
Jangkar Waterfall, Lundu
Meeting point / time:
Kampong Jantan, 09.30 hrs am
Own transport; car pooling recommended
· Drive to Lundu and use Lundu Bypass Road
· Turn towards Sematan
· Shortly after that turn left to Jalan Biawak which will lead you to Kpg Jantan
· RM 10 for MNS members
· RM 20 for non-members
· Parking fee of RM 5 per car
The itinerary for the excursion is as follows:
· 09.30 hrs: Meet, greet and register at Kampong Jantan
· Trek to waterfall #1
· Relax & enjoy nature (swimming optional)
· Trek to waterfall #2 (optional)
· Return to waterfall #1 for lunch break (lunch not included)
· Return to Kampong Jantan & end of activity (approx. 14.00 hrs)
What to bring/wear:
· Footwear with good grip which may get wet (e.g. Kampong Adidas or trekking sandals)
· Light clothes/outdoor wear
· Rain coat/poncho
· Sun cream & hat
· Drinking water & food (Please bring your own lunch! Fireplace for BBQ available!)
· Optional: swimwear & towel
Please note that this activity requires a good fitness level as it involves about 1 hours’ trek uphill to reach Jangkar Waterfall #1, including a river crossing without bridge. The optional trek to Jangkar Waterfall #2 requires an additional 20 minutes climb from Jangkar Waterfall #1. We will return the same way back to Kpg Jantan.
There are no age limitations as long as you are reasonably fit and healthy. The trip is also suitable for children. However, children have to be accompanied and supervised by a parent or custodian.
Want to join? Then please send us an e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or send a Whatsapp directly to Nicki (+60198550375)! For registration and indemnity purposes we need your full name and IC/passport number. For communication purposes we furthermore need your e-mail address and mobile number.
- Registration closes on 14. November 2016.
Love Life, Love Nature,
Please be informed that the November 2016 newsletter is out. You can download a copy from http://www.mns.my/file_dir/
- Letter to the Editor – Halt Logging in the Terenggun Virgin Forest Reserve
- MNS Selangor Branch Flora Group’s Maiden Gardening Activity with Volunteers
- MNS Perak Branch - Herbal Walk and Birding at KNP
- Eco Kids – Screen-Free School Holiday To-Do List
- Calendar of Activities
Leong Wee Chin
Malaysian Nature Society