FIREFLY SURVEY AND MONITORING WORKSHOP IN SARAWAK
5-6 DECEMBER 2009
UNIVERSITI MALAYSIA SARAWAK (UNIMAS)
INFORMATION FOR PARTICIPANTS
1. WORKSHOP PROGRAMME
5 December (Saturday)
2:30 p.m. Indoor workshop: Introduction to firefly survey and monitoring
4:30 p.m. Departure for field survey (weather permitting)
8:00 p.m. End
6 December (Sunday)
2:30 p.m. Indoor session: Review of the findings of the field survey, and drafting of the monitoring form
4:30 p.m. Outdoor session: (provisional, if field survey was not possible before)
8:00 p.m. End
Note: The field survey is subject to weather and sea conditions and can only be confirmed on the day of the field trip. In the event that we are unable to conduct the field survey on the 5th evening, we will try again for the evening of the 6th.
2. WORKSHOP VENUE: UNIMAS, Faculty of Resource Science and Technology (FRST), Ground floor (next to lobby)
3. DIRECTIONS TO VENUE
The map attached shows you how to get from Kuching town to the UNIMAS campus at Kota Samarahan.
After you enter the main gate at UNIMAS, you will see the golf course on your left. Follow the road to the 1st roundabout and take the left turn until you reach another roundabout. There, take the left turn until you reach the 3rd roundabout, then take the right turn towards the huge grey building (=FRST).
Park your vehicle and enter via the back way. Note: the golf course is always on the left all the way to the 3rd roundabout. There will be some people waiting at the back entrance of the building to guide you to the lecture room (TR4).
4. TRANSPORT: Participants will be responsible to arrange their own transport to and from the workshop venue, and to and from Kampung Buntal for the field surveys. Car-pooling is recommended. Below is the list of participants, for your information.
5. MATERIALS FOR THE WORKSHOP: You will be provided with materials at the time of registration.
6. DETAILS OF, AND PREPARATION FOR THE FIELD TRIP:
1. Due to uncertain weather conditions, we will only be able to confirm the field trip on the day of the workshop. Please bring all the stuff you need for the field trip when you come for the workshop because we will leave directly from UNIMAS.
2. We will leave from UNIMAS at 4:30 p.m. to arrive at Kampung Buntal at the latest by 5:30 p.m. Meet at the car park in front of the Lim Hock An Seafood Restaurant (the last restaurant on the left as you drive in, you will see a car park on the right).
3. We will split the group of 20 into two – 10 in each boat; one boat will be led by Mr Sonny Wong of the MNS-Secretariat and the other by Ms Faridah of Universiti Pertanian Malaysia. Please follow their instructions strictly.
4. The boat ride will begin at about 6:00 p.m and end at 8:00 p.m.
5. Safety vests will be provided for all by the boat operators.
6. We can reasonably expect rain and even though the boat has a covering, you can expect to get wet so please bring along a raincoat.
7. Mosquitoes and sandflies are a common feature in mangrove areas; we recommend you wear long pants and a long-sleeved shirt, and bring along some insect repellent.
8. Since the trip will only end at 8:00 p.m. and we are not providing any refreshments on-site, we suggest you bring along some water and snacks.
9. You may want to bring along a small notebook to take notes and record sightings.
See you all at UNIMAS on Saturday! We will begin at 2:30 p.m. SHARP.
MNS Kuching Branch
LIST OF REGISTERED PARTICIPANTS
1. MNS-Secretariat – Mr Sonny Wong (facilitator)
2. UPM – Ms Faridah (facilitator)
3. MNS-Miri Branch – Mr Musa Musbah
4. Jannine Tan
5. Collin Cheong
6. Zora Chan
7. Rebecca D'Cruz
8. Hans Hazebroek
9. Cynthia Lobato
10. Cheong Ah Kwan
11. Ann Armstrong
12. Sunita Sara Gill Shamsul
13. Au Nyat Jun
14. Ann Lesley White
15. Boon Siaw Shi
16. Sing Tyan Pang
17. Universiti Sabah Malaysia – Mr Mahadimenakbar Mohamed Dawood
UNIMAS (3 to join boat survey; names to be confirmed):
18. Wahap Marni
19. Isa Sait
20. Shalini Seluam
21. Komathi a/p Balasupramaniam
22. Mohd Hasri Al-Hafiz
23. Rahah Mohd Yakup
24. Muhamad Ikhwan Bin Idris
25. Mohd Ridwan Rahman
26. Siti Zuriani
27. Madinah Bt Adrus
28. Nurul Ashikeen Bt Abdul Razak